Sunday 30 October 2011

Melancholia: Gravity, levity, or some more middling place? (2)

More views of - or after - Cambridge Film Festival 2011
(Click here to go directly to the Festival web-site)


31 October

Perhaps a good night on which to write a follow-up, after, at last, I had a chance to hear from Amy what she thought:

* She doesn't generally see films with special effects, so did not have my expectations / criticisms;

* She was fine with how Wagner had been used, particularly later, as Melancholia gets closer, and thought that it worked well;

* She liked the visual imagery, and thought it unusual;

* I learnt that the world of the mansion and its golf-course is our ambit (which did not seem unlikely);

* It appeared from what she said about the sisters that they were archetypal, and she agreed with that.

Nothing in any of this made me regret having used the ejector-seat, and I had no desire to have seen, in what was missed, Justine bathing naked in the light of the planet.


Chris, to whom I had outlined my critique of the quality of the effects and the depiction of a seemingly gaseous planet just absorbing another solid one (and it is, apparently, meant to be Earth), did not think that the latter was good science, even if the gases of the planet were uniformly mixed.


No comments: