Saturday 24 September 2011

Statistics - when they become significant (if ever)

More views of - or at - Cambridge Film Festival 2011
(Click here to go directly to the Festival web-site)


25 September

Since (whenever that was) this blog was inaugurated (born? baptized?), there have been large numbers of page-views not only from the UK, but also from the States, and, puzzlingly (why so?) from Russia (15 overall, with 12 in the last week)…

I am also told by Blogger about operating-systems (which is a predicatble result) and browsers (with a close-run thing at the top between (in decreasing order, for what it’s worth with this size of sample) Safari, Firefox and Explorer.

I cannot honestly say that any of those figures really do much for me, other than to point out what a pivotal posting mine was on the night that Dimensions premiered, but they make me revert to a different question, that of the Festival’s attempt to assess the Festival favourite:

It’s great that people are being asked, this year, to put a card into one of five boxes (5 being the top score), but some screenings sell out (Tinker, Tailor, Solider, Spy as the opening film, for example, in Screen 1), whereas, last night (I think) I was in danger of being the only person in my late show.

So you can have hundreds of people voting in one or two screenings, so perhaps as many as four to five hundred possible votes (for, say, Screen 2 then Screen 1, as with Dimensions, I was told on asking (I was only in the first show), and the attempt is to compare that with something in Screen 3 only once that was only half full.

Need I say more about where the problem lies?


No comments: