Friday 23 September 2011

Double-take on TAKE ONE

More views of - or at - Cambridge Film Festival 2011
(Click here to go directly to the Festival web-site)


24 September

Well, I don’t like to be mean to JackMcCurdy (and he should come back at me, if this is), but I think that his review of Drive in the new issue of TAKE ONE is couched in a slightly fanciful way (but I do agree with him that it is a good and powerful film).

(In trying to turn off italic face in a sans-serif font earlier (when I wrote this off line), I (or my keyboard) insistently (and insolently) tried to get me to accept the film’s title with an ‘l’ on the end, which is not what I think of Drive, or of the review, for the reasons stated. Dr Freud and his minions can stay schtumm!)

I’m not going to say too much, because I shall write my own review, but ‘It should be noted’ (at the start of the third paragraph) smacks more of the courtroom, or some more dry form of expression than one that means to pass on enthusiasms, and I don’t know what ‘deceptively gory action’ is – parts of the action are downright gory (and, as it is all make-up and fake blood, those parts are deceptive), but there is much else to Ryan Gosling in this role (I once rented a bedsit from a woman of that name - the surname, that is).

Ciao!

No comments: