Tuesday 24 January 2012

My phone 'doesn't do trashy'

More views of - or after - Cambridge Film Festival 2011
(Click here to go directly to the Festival web-site)


24 January

No, I don't know what that phrase means either* (but it doubtless has at least one dubious import, in the right place at the right time...)!

What I meant, by catching (or trying to catch) the attention with that heading is that the phone knows 'trash' - we are talking, here, that language PT, or Predictive Text - but, if I try going further, with that terminal 'y', the wave-front of the word breaks down**.


The result:

Upbriz


Two possibilities occur to me, both of which I shall disprove (but maybe not now):

(1) This 'word', and I cannot see that it is the beginning of anything (a Chinese musical instrument, maybe, about which I might have to send a text-message some day?), could have been loaded into the standard dictionary*** for every Nokia® of its kind.

Perhaps it was deemed that the key-combination that would have given 'trashy' was too trashy (the word isn't even there as a second choice), and needed some class - with 'Upbriz' (forgive me if it is a leading name, such as Prada®, but I don't think so).


(2) By mistake (or - in a fit of utter insanity - troubling to do so), I have saved this combination of letters into my customized add-on to this 'dictionary'.


As I say, I can offer a proof against both hypotheses - and I can identify no others - but, for technical reasons, not very soon, unless there's a great demand for it!


End-notes:

* Though Trashy McAlister might (when not flicking through her rare copy of Homer's Arctic Lay)...

** According to Michael Frayn (whom we worship after Copenhagen and then Spies), Werner Heisenberg would know what I'm taking about.

*** By the way, I thought that that word denoted something that tells you what a word means, or its translation into another language - this is just a glorified list, Nokia®!


No comments: